Sunday, March 22, 2020

Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood (1988)

I was looking forward to this one since it's the first one in this series I've hit that I haven't actually seen yet (I haven't seen Parts 9 or 10 either). But I have a very scientific test for how much or little I enjoy a movie that I'm watching at home - and that is - how many times do I get the urge to reach for my phone while I'm watching it. Unfortunately - this one had a very high "did I get a new e-mail?" quotient.

If the Friday the 13th series is an album - this is a filler tune buried on side two that you won't remember a week later. I think the only thing I'll remember about it is that Bernie of Weekend at Bernie's is the psychologist with the ulterior motives (Terry Kiser).

If Part VI sounded lousy on paper, but ended up being a fun watch - this is the exact opposite. On paper - this one should actually be pretty good. You have a lead character who has the best chance of actually winning a fight with Jason that we've met so far and a few interesting deaths: the girl with the party horn through her eye and - of course - the girl who gets smashed against a tree while tied up in a sleeping bag.

The problem is: you don't care about a single character in this movie. The characters who exist only to be killed are so anonymous that there were times I saw one walk into a room thinking, "didn't they just get killed a few minutes ago?".

It gets tougher and tougher for every new team that takes on a Friday the 13th movie. You have to stick to a formula that everyone has now seen a whole bunch of times, but also find a way to make it interesting. I feel like the director here really WANTED to make a Carrie v. Jason type of film, which had the potential to be interesting, but he also had a find a way to shoehorn in the usual set-em-up/knock-em down formula that the fans have come to expect. They did a bad job at striking that balance and both sides of that story suffered for it.

Overall - not a fun watch - and off the top of my head, I'd have to say my least favorite of the series so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment