Sunday, March 15, 2020

Hello...it's been awhile....broken leg & Friday the 13th reviews

It's been a few years since I've written in this blog. I'm still alive...still here. I enjoyed trying to venture through the Dischord Records catalog, and it was all going fine until I went on tour with Two Man Advantage. I mean - the tour was a blast - but when I got home, I realized I just didn't have the motivation to keep going. I don't know why...just got lazy about it.

In any case, there's now a brand new podcast - "End on End" - which is looking to do in podcast form what I was attempting to do in blog form, and that is go record-by-record through the Dischord catalog. They made mention of my blog on an episode, so I wanted to take the time to mention them here. Search for them wherever you get your podcasts. As of this writing, they have released the first two episodes. The Teen Idles episode features an interview with Nathan Strejcek and the S.O.A. episode has an interview with Michael Hampton. Good stuff - check it out.

On December 9, 2019, I suffered a major leg injury from a slip-and-fall incident that occurred outside of my home. I slipped off a step and while trying to recover, my right leg twisted the wrong way. It was an instant "snap" and I immediately knew something was wrong. It was a rainy night and I fell into a puddle from which I could not move. Luckily, my wife, Anna, was right there and was able to call the ambulance who came fairly quickly. Soaked to the bone, I was taken to Good Samaritan Hospital in West Islip. X-rays showed I had broken my fibula and tore my ankle ligaments which caused my ankle bone to separate.

I had surgery the following day and the day after that I was able to come home. I was non-weight bearing on that leg for 10 weeks. I am now a few weeks into physical therapy and finally driving again and walking again, albeit with a cane and very slowly. I have been out of work for over three months at this point and intend on finally going back at the end of the month (although with the COVID-19 outbreak - who knows?).

It's rare that, as an adult, we get a "time out" in life. I like keeping busy, but in one instant of time, my next few months suddenly cleared out. It's been an interesting time to take a bit of a break from the world.

In order to break up my days, I have given myself a few projects to do. A more recent project came about by accident. I've written a lot about music - but I've never tried to write about film. I've watched a lot of truly fine films during this downtime: Point Blank, The Maltese Falcon, Singin' in the Rain, Casablanca, The African Queen, The Adventures of Robin Hood, etc. But - does the world need another amateur film critique of any of these films? I don't think so. And even if we did, I'm not sure I'm the right person for that job.

But a few weeks ago I decided to take a break from the high-brow cinema and watched the first Friday the 13th movie. The next night, I watched the second. It then hit me what my next project would be...to watch every Friday the 13th film and try to write a critical review of it. I know that these films are very far from high art, but flesh & blood humans put effort into making these movies and I thought I would do my best to take some time and try to put into words what worked for me and what didn't.

I started posting my reviews (starting with Part III) on the Red River Podcast Facebook group, but I decided I kind of wanted to preserve these for myself and I think some others might be interested in reading them too. So, starting with the next entry, I'll be re-posting those reviews one-by-one, starting with Part III and going up to the 2009 reboot.

No comments:

Post a Comment